Monday, February 19, 2018

Welcome to my newest blog!

When Twitter sanctioned/censored my account for 12 hours over some unspecified "community standard" allegations, I was done with it. As a libertarian, I don't have an issue with media like the Gray Lady restricting, editing or inviting access to its op-ed pages. I think in part I'm motivated by mushrooming "safety zones" on campuses for grown young adults with shrinking free speech zones. But I also believe in free association. and I do not accept these restrictions. As a libertarian I espouse the Non-Aggression Principle; I'm not crazy about the fact that there are so many obsessed left or right-fascists out on Twitter; I certainly didn't follow or stalk any of them. If and when I encountered them reviewing trending hashtags or flaming one of my Tweets, I might bash a particularly egregious one, say attaching an obnoxious meme. I was often trolled by left-wing wackos insisting I'm a Russian bot or some hired gun for  the Koch brothers or the Mercers, while Trumpkins called me a "liberal" (not in the classical sense, but in the bleeding-heart modern sense). I've had a few extended exchanges, but if I thought it got to the point of the troll harassing me or getting repetitive, Twitter has tools to mute or even block the offender. I know some "progressives" blocked me (because they told me), and it was because they didn't like my views.

So this format will give me the freedom to write without Twitter's arbitrary rules (including tweet length and not being able to edit typos in published tweets). I think over more than 10,000 tweets, I've developed the discipline to write concisely (Dr. Scamell, my dissertation chair, would be impressed; he once joked it took me 20 minutes to introduce myself).

Just like my signature miscellany format in my flagship political blog evolved over the first few years. the post format may evolve. The intent is for a daily post with one or my entries, which may be updated with new entries, but there may be days without entries.